Monday, March 10, 2008

How did my (mediocre) picks turn out?

For fun, let me induldge myself and see how things went with my picks over the weekend at the NJSIAA Wrestling Tournament.

I was 6-8.

103:
My pick: Tyler Bisacha (Jackson).
What happened: He won. But I had Bisacha beating Old Bridge's Conor Hayes in the final. Hayes lost in the pre-quarterfinals and didn't place.

112
My pick: Frank Cagnina (Queen of Peace).
What happened: Cagnina was third. I had Cagnina beating Joe Duca of Paulsboro for the title. Howell's Joe Langel beat Ocean Township's Mike Beradesco 6-2 for the title.

119
My pick: Vinnie Dellefave (Toms River East)
What happened: Dellafave beat Camden Catholic's Taylor Walsh 9-7 in overtime. I had Dellafave beating Belleville's Filberto Colon in the semis -- he did 7-3 -- and beating Don Bosco Prep's Vin Fava for the title. Fava didn't place.

125
My pick: Joe Trause (Bergen Catholic)
What happened: Somerville senior Jimmy Kirchner, who should have won the tournament's OW, seemed to beat everybody on the "experts'' list of predicted place winners. He opened with a thrilling win over Lakeland's Colton Chalkley, knocked off two-time state champ Trause in the semifinals, then won the wild overtime final over Anthony Curcio of Washington Township. I had Trause beating Curcio in the final. Wrong.

130
My pick: Bobby Dabal (North Bergen)
What happened: Kittatinny's Derek Valenti beat Wallkill Valley's Kodie Silvestri 2-0 for the title. Dabal, the top seed, was knocked out 1-0 by Valenti in the quarterfinals and wound up eighth.

135
My pick: Hank Stinson (Eastern)
What happened: Stinson won. I had Stinson beating Westwood senior Dan Butcher in the final. Butcher didn't place.

140
My pick: Trevor Melde (DePaul)
What happened: I took the easy way out, going with a defending state champ. Melde was pinned by Delsea's Anthony Baldosaro in the final. I had Melde beating Baldosaro.

145
My pick: Sean Byrnes (Jackson)
What happened: I was right. Byrnes beat Brick Memorial's Steve Santos 7-1 for the title.

152
My pick: Nick Menditto (Ocean)
What happened: Menditto beat J.P. Stevens' Greg Zannetti 1-0 for the title. My projected runnerup -- Newton's Austin Alpaugh -- was seventh.

160
My pick: Scott Winston (Jackson)
What happened: Winston finished his amazing career with a 2:14 fall over Sacred Heart senior Scott Kelly. I had Winston beating Camden Catholic's Dakota Moore. Moore was eighth.

171
My pick: Dan Seidenberg (Raritan)
What happened: Seidenberg, second at 160 last year, was second again. He was beaten in overtime by fellow junior Brendan Ard in overtime. I had it the other way around.

189
My pick: Jon Becker (Bergen Catholic)
What happened: Bound Brook freshman Andrew Campolattano beat Becker 4-2 for the title. I had Becker beating last year's finalist -- Tyler Smith of Belvidere -- for the championship. Campolattano beat Smith in the quarters and pinned Isiah Miles of Sterling in the semifinals. Smith was third.

215
My pick: Glen Carson (Southern)
What happened: I picked Carson to beat Brearely's Jesse Boyden. But Boyden beat Carson.

285
My pick: Harry Turner (Howell)
What happened: Turner did make it to the final. But he was beaten 4-3 by Manchester sophomore Jimmy Lawson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Overall Harry, pretty good picks. Good thing you don't gamble!