Friday, October 19, 2007

Terrible Friday night (for yours truly). Immaculata-BR note

4-6 for Friday night. Stench.

I'm not sure what my worst pick was -- there are quite a few choices.

Belvidere losing to North Plainfield at Krausche Field. I'm glad I wasn't there because I would have taken a beating. I took Belvidere to beat North Plainfield 18-0, and I took a big hit. Congratulations to the Canucks, who won it 27-14.

I spoke to a few people after the game, who said they weren't entirely surprised. Bound Brook moved the ball on Belvidere a couple of weeks ago for the majority of the Crusaders' 37-12 loss. I spoke to two coaches NOT CONNECTED with Bound Brook, who said they felt North Plainfield could move the ball on Belvidere, plus stop Belvidere.

I didn't hold that opinion, thus my terrible pick. But North Plainfield looks good to make the Central Jersey Group II playoff field.

That was the worst.

The next lowlight? Hackettstown 10-7 over Somerville. My pick was Somerville 24-12. Close, ugh? I might have to retire. I figured that Hackettstown, which beat Johnson 22-0 two weeks ago, but lost to Bernards 6-0 last Saturday, would be beatable. I'm down on Somerville by the way. I'm picking with my heart and past performance.

The third?

Westfield beats Elizabeth. Tremendous. The Blue Devils were 0-17-1 against the defending North 2, Group IV champions over the last 18 games. The Devils hadn't beaten Elizabeth since 1984. So, what happens? The Blue Devils win 13-7 and pretty much ice up a North 2, Group IV berth.

The fourth?

I took North Hunterdon to beat Watchung Hills 18-13. Reality? Watchung Hills 45-13. Did I say terrible? Watchung Hills ran all over the Lions in the second half. It was 13-13 at half, and the Warriors scored 32 unanswered in the second half.

The Immaculata-Bridgewater-Raritan game has been moved to tonight at 7 p.m. at Basilone Field. The game was scheduled to be played Friday at Brooks Field in Somerville, but the Spartans will march across the highway -- along with their homecoming activities. We will not be covering the game, but look for results of this one in Monday's paper.

I'll blog again sometime Saturday.

No comments: