Thursday, October 18, 2007

injuries, coaches and those pesky scribes

For the most part, coaches and reporters have a solid relationship. But, as I tell some of the younger folks on our staff -- as long as you write good things about those coaches and their teams, they'll love you -- if not, well -- you know the drill.

Fortunately, 99.9 percent of what we write about high school sports is positive. Makes it easier on us -- but, let me get to the point -- how about coaches' reporting injuries and telling you straight up what really is going on.

Don't hold your breath on getting a straight answer. We understand it. It's been part of the game since the days of Alonzo Stagg and Pop Warner, part of the gamesmanship. We're part of it. But it kind of gets tiring after awhile.

Hunterdon Central coach Matt Perotti and I talk to each other quite a bit during the course of a week. That happens when your team is ranked second in the area.

Matt tried to be as open as he could with me about his injured senior quarterback Rich Lachner. Perotti told me Thursday night that Lachner, who tore ligaments in his right thumb on the last play of the first half in last week's 30-6 whipping of Phillipsburg, will be dressed Friday night -- weather pending -- for the game with Franklin.

Franklin running back Brian Thompson didn't practice this week. I got that much. While Matt told me Lachner is "doubtful," Franklin coach Lou Solomon told me Thompson is "50-50." Will Thompson play? His teammate, senior wideout/defensive back Gavin Roberts, told me that Thompson intends to buckle it up. He suffered a high ankle sprain on the first play of last Saturday's 14-0 win over Warren Hills.

I guess we'll find out Friday night. I think Thompson's absence could affect Franklin a lot more than Lachner. Expect Cole Moore, a junior, to start for Central if Lachner can't go.

Let's hope for a dry weekend. We've been lucky so far.

2 comments:

B J Nee said...

Spelling Harry!!
"..Thompson's absence could affect Franklin." (not effect)

Harry Frezza Jr. said...

Thank you.You're right.

My bad.

Thanks for reading!