Monday, June 04, 2007

Blue Jays, Spartans and RIP Clete

I guess Pennsville and Seton Hall Prep should beware. I've picked them to win Tuesday's ballgames against Middlesex (State Group I semifinal) and Immaculata (Non-Public A final).

Pennsville was just a fourth seed in South I, but was able to win another South Jersey title. Pennsville has played a better schedule than Middlesex in the Tri County Classic Division where it was co-champions with Pitman.

Pennsville has eliminated our teams in the past like Middlesex in 2003 and Bernards a year or two earlier. Both of the teams have suffered quite a few losses this year. Pennsville is 16-9 and Middlesex is 16-7.

Middlesex should be able to hit Joel Rios, a right hander, who's 5-2 with a 3.05 earned run average. Blue Jay third baseman Anthony Pace is having some season. He's hitting .455 with 30 hits in 66 at bats with four homers, seven doubles and 26 RBIs. Blue Jay starter Dan Sarao is 4-4 with a Rios-like 3.05 earned run average.

I'm taking Pennsville. Sorry.

Immaculata against Seton Hall Prep. Maybe I've bought all the hype -- OK, hook and line. I'm eager to see Seton Hall Prep 6-foot-9, 230-pound senior righty Evan Danieli throw to a very powerful Immaculata lineup led by unheralded senior catcher Jeff Bland. Could this be a slugfest?

Immaculata senior lefty Sean McKeown is going to have pitch better against SHP than he did in the Somerset County Tournament final against Hillsborough. Immaculata might have the better lineup from top to bottom in this matchup. Just pitch and we should have a classic.

I'm taking Seton Hall Prep because it's the safe pick.

Heard the sad news about former Yankee third baseman Clete Boyer, dying Monday at age 70. I heard Clete stopped by the Southside Bar in South Bound Brook a few years ago with another former Yankee Mickey Rivers. I heard Rivers did some karaoke. The two stopped off after doing a baseball card show in Somerset.

I don't remember Boyer in his prime, but I do remember when was traded for outfielder Bill Robinson before the 1967 season. The Yankees didn't have a suitable replacement for Boyer until they traded for Graig Nettles in 1973. RIP Clete.

No comments: