Wednesday, May 23, 2007

SCT BASEBALL FINAL

One of my editors has told me that my blog needs more "feeback" type subjects, i.e., picking games to rattle the pride factors of our schools. I'm taking steps to improve my blogging.


Two of our leaders in the pride category -- Hillsborough and Immaculata -- meet in Thursday night's 35th annual Somerset County Tournament final at Commerce Bank Ballpark in Bridgewater. Game time is 7 p.m.

So, can I pick against Immaculata and inspire the nice chants I've heard over the years from the Spartain faithful? Let me tell you, if I PICK the Spartans I have a chance of hearing the same. That's not a factor.

I can't see Hillsborough winning, so I'm sorry to disappoint. The Raiders can thank me for picking against them and fueling their motivational juices.

Some thoughts on the game:

Can Hillsborough senior lefty Mark Andrews match Immaculata senior lefty Sean McKeown (of Hillsborough)? If that happens, can Hillsborough find a way to score runs off McKeown?

Hillsborough might be able to pull off a 3-2 or 2-1 victory, but the Raiders won't win a slugfest. First baseman Corey Swickle and left fielder Mike Hansford bat three and four in the Raiders' lineup. They'll have to do something.

Immaculata's Matt Marquis, Frank Florio, Jeff Bland, Jack Rice and Tom Burke (and don't forget Chaz Crane in the seven hole) is as strong a lineup as the Spartans have had.

I'm picking Immaculata 8-3.

Possible lineups
Hillsborough (16-3)
Anthony Giralo RF
Corey Towey SS
Corey Swickle 1B
Mike Hansford LF
Matt Sadin C
Matt Zygmund CF
Sean MacDonald 3B
Rick Schwalke 2B
Albert DeSanto (DH) bats for Andrews

Immaculata (21-1)
Frank DeNick RF
Matt Maquis CF
Frank Florio LF
Jeff Bland C
Jack Rice 1B
Tom Burke SS
Chas Crane 3B
Mark Bernhardt (DH) bats for McKeown
Logan Morello 2B


Courier News Online - Podcasts

1 comment:

witz55 said...

Harry,
The Hillsborough community appreciates that you are not picking us to knock off the Cust Academy All-Stars. This clearly is David vs. Goliath and Boro will need to play an absolutely perfect game to have even a chance at knocking off IHS, but that's why they play the game. Hillsborough will be there to support their underdog. We hope it will be an enjoyable and competitive game.