Saturday, October 07, 2006

A Yankee doodle disaster

If you are a Yankee fan of any ilk, and I consider myself one, Saturday, October 7, was one of the worst days of your New York (A) rooting experience. I go back to the days of Horace Clarke, Jerry Kenney and Bill Burbach. I'm finding myself believing it was much better rooting for those guys back in the mid 1960s. The Yankees were bad, real bad, but at least I was thrilled when they earned a rare win against then powerful Minnesota and the Orioles and the Tigers. But the Yankess are no longer fun to root for --and I felt that way throughout the game Saturday before they gradually slipped from the state in game four of the American League Divisional Series. The Tigers wrapped it up in four games with a 8-3 win. Yankee pitchers had a 5.56 earned run average. The hitters went 2-for-21 with runners in scoring position in the three losses. The Tigers won twice by a combined score of 14-3. Alex Rodriguez was 1-for-14 in the series and has 5 hits in 46 post-season at bats since the Yankees took a three-games-to-none lead over Boston in the 2004 American League Championship Series. He has no RBIs in his past 12 playoff games. A-Rod is the poster boy for all that is wrong with our Yankees, but he's just one of the reasons the Yankees failed so miserably. What will they do next? Get younger George, get younger.

No comments: