Saturday, March 03, 2007

tough day

I felt like a vulture tonight after Bridgewater-Raritan's Roy Dragon III and Hillsborough's John Mangini lost their semifinal bouts. Unfortunately, part of our job is to talk to well-known kids when they are beaten. And I waited for both after their wrestleback bouts. I was the stalker with the notebook.

At the state tournament, we get a chance to talk to kids when they are in a better mood since they get an opportunity to wrestle again and win in wrestleback rounds. Believe me, it's tough to talk to the kids after such bitter outcomes. I never did get to talk to Dragon III or Mangini, but I was able to get a few words from Hillsborough coach Steve Molinaro and Bridgewater-Raritan's Greg Evans on reaction to the semifinal matches.

Here's some of Southern Regional sophomore Glen Carson's reaction to his four-session overtime victory over Dragon in the 215-pound semifinal.

"I had only seen (Dragon) wrestle one time at the (New Jersey Coaches) All Star meet (Jan. 28) and he wrestled (Hopatcong's Zack) Rey," Carson said. "It's hard to scout him when he's wrestling a big kid like Rey. It's hard to shoot on a guy like Rey. I knew (Dragon) got in the underhooks and got those off. I did everything right. I just wrestled a really smart match."

Carson said he got a huge boost when he had survived the first period against a wrestler who was 146-11 with 111 falls coming into the bout.
"When he was on top he was working me very hard and he was very strong on top, but after that first period he got really tired and that's when my conditioning came in," Carson said.

South Plainfield junior 112 pounder Pat Hunter is a great quote. He's very colorful and doesn't hold back in what he says -- kind of like when he's on the mat. While Hunter is more outgoing and flamboyant on the mat, Delaware Valley senior Dan Kelly -- who Hunter will face in the state final -- is more reserved.

"Whatever gets you in zone," said Hunter, who will face Delaware Valley senior Dan Kelly in the state final at 112. "I have been in the zone since last year when I lost in the quarterfinals. It's been eating at me every night."

He was talking about his 3-2 loss to Kittatinny's Derek Valenti in the state quarterfinals. He did avenge that loss with a 12-3 major win over Valenti for third.

Bound Brook senior 135-pounder Nick Murray used four tilts for near falls in his semifinal second period technical fall of Kittatinny's Troy Hernandez. Murray is in the finals at 135 against Delbarton's Trevor Melde. Murray said first-cousin Andrew Flanagan, who won state titles at 145 and 152 for Bound Brook in '04-'05, will likely be at Atlantic City Sunday.


Hillsborough 152-pound senior Frankie McLaughlin has some strategy for his final against two-time state champion Scott Winston, who is now 100-0 for his career. McLaughlin lost to Winston in the Coaches All Star Meet in January.

"I can't take any bad shots," McLaughlin said. "First period, I have to look defense and keep pressure on him, but not really look to actually take any shots because he's very sharp in the first period. He'll get the better of me in the first period. I've looked at the video over and over and the shot I took him down on it wasn't a great shot. He was tired and he didn't react as fast. I have to take it to the third period and keep it close."

In ending, the homemade chicken noodle soup at the Phoenix Diner in Absecon shouldn't be missed.

Good night.

No comments: